Friday, March 30, 2012

It's been a while

Many apologies if you've been waiting patiently to see what I've been up to lately. Because of course there are lots of you whose lives are just not complete without me :P

Since we last spoke, I've done lots of reading, but I'm not going to bore you with any more lists. I'm trying to alternate reading books made with real paper that take up lots of space (especially beside my bed) and electronic ones on my Kindle (which don't take up so much physical space, but seem to accumulate fairly quickly nonetheless. I'm looking at you, Pixel of Ink! You know you tempt me daily!).

I also signed up for and started the Michelle Bridges 12 Week Body Transformation program. In fact, you could say I'm going to turn myself into a living Kindle, in that I will have plenty of content without taking up nearly as much physical space. Well, that's the theory anyway, and so far I'm keeping on track. The program involves a good balance of calorie-controlled nutrition and exercise, with plenty of support along the way. We had pre-season tasks to complete, which dealt with many of the issues that trip people up when they try to lose weight and get fit - excuses, goal-setting, cleaning out the kitchen so temptation is reduced, etc. We are given (via a website) weekly menus, a shopping list, a training program, and motivational videos, as well as access to the program forums where you can post about your journey, ask questions, and advise other participants based on your own experience.

There's a weekly weigh-in, 4-weekly fitness tests and body measuring, and weekly surprises (with prizes!) along the way to keep you motivated and involved.

The recipes are great. There are sometimes things I'm not so keen on, and we can make changes to suit, but in general they're healthy, colourful, easy to make, and suitable for the whole family - although last night I made a chicken and mushroom boscaiola which contained the trifecta of the kid's biggest food hates: onion, mushroom AND capsicum. It was one of my favourite meals so far, but I was prepared with an alternative for the short people, so no huge dramas.

I struggle more with the training side of things, but I have discovered that I really enjoy long walks, and it's working for me. I began with early morning walks up a local hill, but as the days are getting shorter, and it's getting a bit dark in the morning for me, I've switched to afternoon walks to the kid's school, plus at least one long walk on the weekend (aiming for around 10km, and hoping to increase that as I go on).

To date, I've dropped a little over a kilogram per week over 7 weeks. It feels very sustainable - something I can continue for as long as it takes to get back to a size and weight I feel comfortable with, and then modify to stay that way for life.

I have some other news, but that can wait until next time - I have a 10+km walk booked in for 7am tomorrow, and I need to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment