Friday, June 3, 2011

May reading

Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason [Helen Fielding] - bought for 10 cents at a fete, and I can say it was worth every cent. However, if it had been 20 cents, I would have to consider carefully. I should have known better - I didn't like the character in the first book, and she wasn't any better in this one. Self-centred, overthinks everything, thinks the world revolves around her. Throughout the whole book, all I could think was "Why doesn't she just say things straight out to clear up the confusion?". But then I think that a lot in real life too. Not sure why I bothered finishing it.

The Tenth Circle [Jodi Picoult] - passed on by a friend. Easy to read, enjoyed the references to Dante's Inferno, but not something I'd keep or re-read or recommend. I just didn't care about these characters at all.

Vincenzo's Garden [John Clanchy] - borrowed from the public library. I'm a fan of short stories, and this collection by Australian author John Clanchy is quite lovely. Some beautiful studies of people in the middle of changing relationships.

Shades of Grey [Jasper Fforde] - borrowed from the public library. I've noticed Jasper Fforde books on the bookshelf of a friend, and when I saw this one at the library I had to see what he was like for myself. Oh my! Wonderful story, and just perfect for a graphic designer. Will definitely be looking up more by the same author.

The Cat in the Hat [Dr Seuss] - from the X-man's bookshelf. It doesn't matter how much Ben 10 and Zac Power he reads, we still have fun with this book. He loves me reading it out loud to him, with silly voices and over the top expression, and I love reading it! We've been over and over this for nearly his whole life, and we're not tired of it yet :)

The Chinese Takeout [Judith Cutler] - borrowed from my mother. I could see this one made into a Midsomer Murder. A good read, but might put you off chicken.

Wacky Wednesday [Dr Seuss] - another favourite from the X-man's shelf. We like looking for the silly things on each page :)

Sun on the Stubble [Colin Thiele] - secondhand from a fete. A delightful Australian story of a German family farming in South Australia, centred on one of the boys in the family - Bruno. By the author of Storm Boy.

Politically correct holiday stories: for an enlightened Yuletide season [James Finn Garner] - borrowed from the public library. Politically corrected versions of the story of Rudolph and A Christmas Carol, with lots of references to 'pre-adults' and similar terms. Poor Santa can't get anything right. Funny, and takes the mickey out of the whole issue of political correctness, illustrating just how ridiculous the idea can become, taken to extremes.

Oh, and I read a little more of Jude the Obscure. He's now been tricked in marriage, but has separated from his nasty wife, who's emigrated to Australia with her parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment