Saturday, February 12, 2011

Gratitude

Last February, I focussed on finding something for which to be grateful every day.

Lately, I've been finding it very easy to sink into the mire of 'it's all too hard', 'I didn't sign up for this', 'why should I when no-one else makes an effort?' and 'stuff it. I don't care any more'. I really don't like heading in this direction, so it's time to lace up my boots and go looking for the good stuff.

I mean really - what do I seriously have to complain about? We haven't been flooded, hit by a cyclone, or had to deal with the possibility of bushfire this summer. Everyone we know is safe, even if the family in the Clarence River area did get their feet wet recently.

Both kids are healthy, back at school, and loving it.

It's not so hot at the moment, and the hot week we did have reminded me to be grateful when the cool change rolled in.

We have food in the fridge and pantry, and more is just an internet order away. And I don't even have to carry it in.

I have plenty to read, whether just for entertainment or to learn something new.

We have plenty to wear. In fact, too much, so I've been culling and donating bags of clothing.

The dishwasher died this week (it's nearly 10 years old, and I don't think you can expect much more out of appliances these days), but this has turned out to have its positive side: the kids are enjoying washing up, especially if it means time talking and singing and being a bit silly with Mum. And I'm enjoying having a clean bench and sink, rather than a pile of unwashed dishes waiting for the dishwasher to emptied.

There are lots of opportunities for free learning online, including many university open learning courses. I'm learning more about Roman history and culture at the moment.

I have enough work, and I'm lucky enough to be able to operate my own business from home.

We have a house full of too much stuff, and while that frustrates me often, I'm grateful that we live in an affluent society, and that I have so much choice. And I LOVE being able to cut down the clutter, a little at a time, and create more space and calm and opportunity. I LOVE giving things away that we have no more use for, and someone else might benefit from. How lucky are we to be so well off that we can give things away!

There's loads more, but I'm smiling now, so that will do for the time being.

What are you grateful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment