Monday, July 26, 2010

google maps is my friend

I've spent a lot of time over the past few months poking around on Google maps, getting a feel for the cities we'll be visiting. I can find out what the apartment buildings look like from the street, how far they are from various landmarks, and how long it would take to walk between locations and the most direct route to take.

I've virtually 'walked' around the neighbouring streets, having a look at the shops and parks and other buildings. I've sussed out the terrain, and the trains.

And tonight I discovered that there's a metro station right across the road from our Paris flat. Within one stop on either side, we can get to about seven different train lines, and from there we can get to almost the whole of the city.

Black Cab in London
[photo: David Iliff]
I also found out about the World Taximeter site - a fabulous site that lets you calculate the approximate fare between two locations in many cities of the world, including the ones we're travelling to. It's made me feel a lot better about catching a taxi when we're carrying luggage, rather than hauling it up and down stairs in train stations. Door-to-door service with someone who knows the city when we first arrive? Yes, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment