Monday, November 7, 2011

Ostia Antica


I've been reading and watching more about Ostia Antica lately, with a view to revisiting the scavi, possibly next October/November. It was suggested to me in the planning stages of last year's trip as an alternative to Pompeii, and I'm very glad we chose to go there. Of course, I still plan on seeing Pompeii at some stage, but Ostia Antica has some big advantages. It's very close to Rome (I think I'll make Pompeii a part of a trip where we stay in Naples for a week or more, rather than a rushed long day trip from Rome), it's not as well known and therefore not as crowded, there's plenty of shade, it's a place to wander and discover things for yourself.

More on Ostia Antica:
Darius Arya's YouTube videos
Darius Arya Digs (blog)
Ostia website

No comments:

Post a Comment